Elevated Mast – High Level Photography
This is the main application that the MDRP360 was originally designed for.
For anyone that has ever worked with telescopic masts will know the problems encountered which are extensively to do with cables since they cause:
The MDRP360 solves these problems by completely eliminating the cables from the base to the camera of realistic achievable figures of around 150’. These distances are subject to line of sight and environmental conditions such as built up areas.
- excessive weight
- wind drag
- cable breakages
- damaged cables and camera connectors
- restrictive panning
- more setup time
- abortive shoots
MDRP360 on top of 60’ or 90’ and not a cable in sight!
|There are only 2 short cables you need. One for the camera control and one for the remote live view.|
Once ready all you need to do is mount the unit on the mast and then pump it up.
|The only cables needed to connect the camera to the MDRP360|
|Complete unit mounts to the top of the mast|
|When the mast is extended, just power on the remote handheld monitor to receive live view in real time.|
The monitor will mimic and display whatever your camera was set to. So if you camera displays a histogram, so will the monitor.
On taking a picture, the image will display according to whatever the review period is set to. If the review period is set to ‘hold’ live view can be activated again by pressing the exposure lock / unlock button.
Use the hand remote in conjunction with the remote monitor to control 360° continuous pan and 30° tilt
From here you can operate the camera 4 ways:
- Fire button
- Set and unset exposure lock
- Start 360° tour mode (stop and shoot – angle selected from panner panel at ground level)
- Start Express Pan® tour mode (overrides the preset angle by moving the panner to next frame using live view and the MDRP360 will automatically calculate the angle and rotate, stop at that angle, fire and move to the next angle etc until a full 360° is completed). It is possible to shoot two images at a 180° interval but typically 3 when using a fisheye lens at 120° intervals.
With the tour mode – at ground level from the MDRP360 panel you can
- preset the angle to stop and shoot between 5° and 45°
- set the bracket count for variable exposure shots
- set the time delay between each shot
With the hand remote and in addition to the camera operation – you can perform the following operations of the MDRP360
- Adjust speed or pan and tilt
- Manually pan and tilt
- Wake up the wireless video transmitter from sleep mode
- Change channel number
- Start Express Pan® Mode for setting shooting at angle intervals of choice
- Advanced operations
The camera can be tilted through a maximum of 30°. Depending on the lens, it may be required to shoot through a greater angle range. A ball head will be needed and the operation would require shooting through a 30° range, lowering the mast, adjusting the camera to a new angle, raising the mast and shooting through the new adjusted range.
All images are stored immediately on the camera as if using it by hand and are downloaded to PC when returned to ground level.
Typically the Elevated Masts will be used for high level
- Single & fisheye shots
- Panoramic shots (the 360° tour mode can be interrupted at any stage)
- 360° Interactive Virtual tours
- Time Lapse
Typical applications for high level photography include
It is also possible to use wireless USB extenders to operate the camera via a laptop. This method is needed if full control of the camera is required via PC/Laptop remote capture software. It should be noted though that this method is slow operation due to the speed of wireless USB compared to wired USB. Please refer to the wireless USB Extender section for this solution.
- Residential and Commercial Property (estate agencies, boundaries, land portfolios, historic records)
- Demolitions and Construction (with time lapse)
- Inspections, Maintenance, Renovations, Damage
- Leisure & Attractions (stadiums, tracks, golf courses)
- Marketing (company brochures)
The MDRP360 is an essential part of the wildlife photographer’s accessory bag.
The advantages of using the MDRP360 are:
- Very close range
- No telephoto blur
- Follow animal with pan and tilt
- Instantaneous live view and shooting
- Small, lightweight, easily portable and relocatable
- Long battery life
- Covert equipment
- No disturbance to animal, young or nests
- Ability to keep safe distance from dangerous or protective animals
- Little noise generated from the motor – around 5 decibels
|Operate your camera and panner at close up distances not achievable by other means.|
Shoot close ups with amazing detail normally much more difficult with zoom
Time lapse is another major application where the MDRP360 comes into its own because it has the ability to automatically and remotely pan during the shooting sequence.
Generally slow speeds are required for Time Lapse and these are the current calculations to see if they fit the requirements.
- The slowest pan speed can be set to 2.5° per second
- At 360° a full cycle would take 138 seconds
- The minimum fixed angle on the MDRP panel setting is 5° but using ExpressPan® it is possible to reduce this to around 2.5° for each shot
- So setting a maximum 30 second delay using minimum 2.5° -
- 360° rotation with 144 stops would take 4320 seconds (1 hour 12 minutes)
- 180° sweep with 72 stops would take 2160 seconds (36 minutes)
|360° Virtual Tours, Panoramas & Landscapes|
The MDRP360 is perfect tool for shooting Virtual Tours with perfect alignment for every shot.
The panner can be automatically programmed for a set number of angles with a 360° tour. The incremental values are 5°, 10°, 15°, 20°, 30°, 40°, 45° which are ideal for most shoots. These values are set by pressing the angle button and the diode will illuminate to indicate which angle is selected.
Bracketing can be set as well as time delay between each shot again with the corresponding colour coded buttons.
If a different angle is required, ExpressPan® can be selected by pressing the two bottom buttons on the remote control. This will put the MDRP360 into ExpressPan® mode identified by a clicking noise. Then by normally using the remote live view, select the next frame and then when the bottom left button is pressed, the MDRP360 automatically calculates the angle from the position already set and will fire at that angle until a full rotation has completed.
At the end of the cycle, the vertical position can be changed and as the MDRP360 will hold the same angle until cancelled, will fire in exactly the same horizontal mode.
|Product 360° Virtual Tours|
The MDRP360 can be inverted, a platform placed on top for rotating without cable snag and use the Auto Tour to take a series of perfectly aligned shots for 360⁰ products.
Self Filming and Documentaries
Control the camera and position when it is pointing at you.
Weddings, Ceremonies, Places of Worship
Use a second camera especially in difficult to shoot locations or limited space.
Press & Extreme Locations
Get shots in where you can’t normally or easily get to.
Security & Surveillance
Remote control with DSLR for high resolution images.